Shitake and shimeji mushroom salad with a persimmon vinaigrette
To cook the barley
100g hulled barley
300ml vegetable stock
1. Heat up the vegetable stock to a boil, add the barley with a pinch of salt and let simmer for 40-45 minutes.
To prepare the mushrooms
2-3 tablespoons oil
100g shimeji mushrooms
100g shitake mushrooms
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon sweet paprika
50ml white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon rosemary
2 tablespoons balsamic reduction
1. Heat the pan and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the shitake and shimeji mushroom and fry until crispy.
2. Add the garlic and sweet paprika and continue to fry for another minute while stirring. When golden brown, deglaze the bottom of the pan with the white wine vinegar.
3. Put in a bowl and add rosemary.
4. Add the balsamic reduction. Put aside.
To make the persimmon vinaigrette
50g fried red onion
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
season with salt
1. Cut the persimmon into small cubes
2. Finely chop the parsley.
3. Combine the olive oil with the vinegar in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Season with salt.
To make the salad
50g chopped nuts of choice
1 chopped red onion fried golden brown in olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped chives
fried shimeji and shitake mushrooms
1. Start with the mushrooms and combine all the ingredients with fried onion and a small portion of the cooked barley. Don’t add too much barley as it will make the salad very heavy.
2. Add a little bit of the vinaigrette.
3. Make portions of the salad and serve with some extra vinaigrette on the side.